Ozone generator – What is it and is it healthy?
An ozone generator is an effective solution for promoting clean and healthy air. Our health and well-being depend heavily on the quality of the air we breathe. Unfortunately, pollutants, allergens, chemicals and other contaminating particles can be present in the air, which can have harmful effects on our breathing, cardiovascular system and other aspects of our health. Bad odours also have a direct impact on our well-being. These odours are often difficult to resolve, no matter how much cleaning is done. Moreover, many people are allergic to the chemicals in cleaning products. This makes it even more difficult to remove odours. An ozone generator is the solution to both problems. Ozone generators are devices that produce ozone, a powerful oxidant used to purify the air and disinfect surfaces.
Does an ozone generator make sense to me?
But how does an ozone generator work and more importantly, is it healthy for me? This blog aims to give you a comprehensive understanding of ozone generators, their operation and their applications. We will cover various aspects, including the definition and operation of ozone generators and ozone production. In addition, we will discuss the applications of ozone generators, such as air purification and odour control. We will also cover the safety guidelines for using ozone generators and the benefits they offer. In short, this blog is a comprehensive guide that will help you understand the power of ozone generators and discover how they can contribute to a cleaner and healthier environment.
Ozone generator, 6 important topics to know:
What is ozone?
Ozone is a molecule composed of three oxygen atoms (O3). Compared to the oxygen molecule we inhale every day (O2), ozone consists of an extra oxygen atom that can detach and attach itself to other substances. This process changes the chemical composition of these substances.
Technically, we do not inhale individual oxygen molecules, but dioxide (O2). Ozone, also called trioxide in the scientific world, consists of three oxygen molecules. However, the third oxygen atom in ozone is unstable and has only a weak bond with the other two oxygen molecules. As a result, it can easily bind to pollutants, especially those with strong odours such as smoke.
Ozone can also bind to viruses, bacteria, fungal spores and organic matter. Once ozone has bound to pollutants, these substances are destroyed. Ozone’s ability to bind to other molecules, such as smoke and odours, enables it to quickly clean and deodorise.
What is an ozone generator?
An ozone generator is a device that produces ozone by converting oxygen molecules (O2) into ozone molecules (O3). It is an electrical device that generates ozone through a process known as corona discharge or UV light.
There are different types of ozone generators, but generally, they work in a similar way. A typical ozone generator contains an ozone-generating source, such as a corona discharge tube or a UV lamp. When oxygen flows through the generator and is exposed to the ozone-generating source, a chemical reaction takes place in which oxygen molecules are converted into ozone molecules.
How does an ozone generator work?
In corona discharge, ozone generators generate a high-voltage field that splits oxygen molecules into individual oxygen atoms. These atoms can then attach to other oxygen molecules to form ozone. In UV ozone generators, ultraviolet light ionises oxygen molecules and produces ozone.
Ozone generators are often used for air cleaning, odour control, surface and water disinfection, food storage and treatment, and in some medical applications. It is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using an ozone generator, as overexposure to ozone can be harmful to health.
What are the benefits of ozone?
Ozone offers different benefits in different situations. Here are some key benefits of ozone:
- Strong disinfectant properties: Ozone is a powerful disinfectant that can effectively kill bacteria, viruses, fungi and other micro-organisms. It can be used to disinfect surfaces, water and air, reducing the spread of pathogens.
- Odour control: Ozone has the ability to neutralise unpleasant odours. It can break down and eliminate odour sources such as smoke odours, pet odours, mould odours and other persistent odours.
- Air cleaning: Ozone can improve air quality by reducing allergens, dust particles, pollen and other airborne pollutants. It can help reduce allergies, asthma symptoms and respiratory problems.
- Food safety and storage: Ozone is often used in the food industry to disinfect food, extend shelf life and inhibit the growth of harmful microorganisms. It can be applied to surfaces, water and packaged foods.
- Environmentally friendly: Ozone is a natural and environmentally friendly oxidising agent. Unlike some chemical disinfectants, ozone leaves no harmful residues and does not pollute the environment.
- Fast action: Ozone has a fast reaction time and quickly destroys microorganisms and odours. It is an efficient and effective method for disinfection and odour control.
What are the applications of an ozone generator?
Ozone generators can be used in a variety of situations. Here are some common applications of ozone generators:
- Air cleaning: Ozone generators are used to purify and clean the air in both residential and commercial environments. They help remove odours, mould spores, bacteria, allergens, smoke and other airborne pollutants. This contributes to cleaner and healthier indoor air quality.
- Odour control: Ozone is very effective in neutralising unpleasant odours. Ozone generators are used to remove odours caused by smoke, pets, food, mould, chemicals and other sources. They break down odour-causing molecules, eliminating the odour. For example, it is very common to use an ozone generator on boats. Ozone treatments are the only way to completely eliminate unwanted odours caused by pets, body odours, bathroom odours, smoke, mould, mildew and more. Even if the boat has had a previous fire or flood, an ozone generator can eliminate these odours immediately and for years.
More benefits of ozone generators
- Surface and water disinfection: Ozone generators are used to disinfect surfaces and water. Ozone has strong disinfectant properties and can effectively kill bacteria, viruses and fungi. It is used in households, hospitals, restaurants, swimming pools and other environments where hygiene is crucial.
- Food storage and handling: Ozone is used in the food industry to extend the shelf life of food and inhibit the growth of harmful microorganisms. Ozone generators are used to apply ozone to surfaces, packaged products, storage and transport areas. This helps reduce microbial contamination and improves food safety.
- Healthcare use: Ozone is used in medical applications to disinfect medical equipment, rooms and air in hospitals and clinics. It helps reduce the spread of pathogens and creates a clean environment for patients and medical staff.
It is important to note that the use of ozone generators must be carefully managed and proper safety guidelines followed. Overexposure to ozone can be harmful to health, so it is important to respect recommended dosages and exposure limits.
Using an ozone generator requires caution and adherence to proper safety guidelines. Although ozone is effective in purifying the air and killing micro-organisms, overexposure to ozone can be harmful to health. Therefore, it is important to observe the following guidelines.
Is an ozone generator healthy? And how should it be used?
- Limit exposure: Make sure there are no people, pets or plants in the room where the ozone generator is used. People and animals should leave the room before ozone treatment starts.
- Ventilation: Ensure adequate ventilation in the room after using the ozone generator. Open windows and doors to let fresh air in and reduce the ozone concentration. Ozone is a gas that breaks down into oxygen over time, but good ventilation speeds up this process.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions: Always read and follow the ozone generator manufacturer’s instructions and guidelines. Each ozone generator may have specific recommendations for use, exposure time and safety precautions. Make sure you are familiar with the specific recommendations for your device.
- Use in unoccupied spaces: It is recommended to use ozone generators only in unoccupied spaces, such as empty rooms or buildings, where treatment can be carried out without the presence of people, animals or plants. This minimises the risk of ozone exposure.
- Dosage and exposure time: Respect the recommended dosages and exposure limits for ozone. Ozone concentrations that are too high can be harmful. Do not use the ozone generator longer than necessary and respect the recommended exposure times.
It is also important to note that ozone concentrations that are safe for disinfecting air and surfaces may not be safe for direct inhalation. Therefore, using ozone generators as air purifiers in crowded environments is generally not recommended. Always consult the manual of your specific ozone generator and contact a professional if you are unsure about its proper use and safety.
Which ozone generator is the right one for me?
An ozone generator is very effective, but it also has its risks. Therefore, it is essential to choose a good manufacturer that guarantees both efficiency and safety. Extreme Air Products (AXP) stands for quality and safety. AXP is a member of the European Ozone Trade Association (EUOTA) and thus co-owner of the EUOTAS Ozone dossier for active biocides. Our ozone generators are the best on the market. Here are the top 4.
For private use
1. AXP XOZ400
The AXP XOZ400 is a portable ozone generator designed for odour control in various environments. Built-in Sweden with stainless steel, it is durable and can withstand harsh operating conditions. The generator works by producing ozone, which neutralises and eliminates odours. It is suitable for use in homes, kitchens, hotel rooms, boats and cars, effectively removing odours caused by nicotine, smoke, moisture, mould and pets. The XOZ400 runs on 12 volts, making it versatile for use in locations where 230 volts are not available. It can be easily connected using the optional cigarette lighter cable. With its ozone tube technology, the generator is reliable and suitable for harsh environments. Moreover, it offers options for connecting a hose to treat hard-to-reach areas.
For professional use
2. AXP XOZ 500
The AXP XOZ500 is a professional portable ozone generator designed to eliminate odours caused by humidity, mould, smoke and pets. Its digital controls make it easy and accurate to set. The generator is effective in living areas, kitchens, hotel rooms, bathrooms and vehicles for eliminating smoke, fumes and odours. It is also suitable for long-term odour removal in e.g. waste rooms or recycling facilities.
Like the XOZ400, AXP’s XOZ500 uses ozone tube technology, known for its reliability in demanding environments. Using a hose connection, the XOZ500 can also be used to treat hard-to-reach areas such as cavities in walls, under floors and air conditioning systems in vehicles. The generator offers convenient features such as adjustable ozone production, intelligent timer functions and low energy consumption. It can be easily wall-mounted and the hose can also be used for permanent connection to ventilation systems and water treatment plants. The XOZ500 is manufactured in Sweden and meets high-quality standards.
3. AXP XOZ2000 en XOZ4000
With ozone production of 2000 mg/h and 4000 mg/h, AXP’s XOZ2000 and XOZ4000 are two of the most powerful ozone generators on the market. They are portable and designed for professional odour removal, for example after fire or water damage. Moreover, these ozone generators are suitable for use in harsh environments. The ceramic tube technology also allows for a hose connection. The hose connection is used for air purification and grease reduction in flat pipe systems and ventilation systems, as well as for water treatment in swimming pools and water tanks.
Tips for their use
Clean the room thoroughly, vacuum and wipe all surfaces clean and/or repair/eliminate the problem causing the odour.
- Make sure the room is safe to treat:
Remove pets and plants. Remove valuable high-tech equipment such as laptops and valuable oil paintings. Make sure there are no people in the room.
- Ozone treatment:
Place the ozone device in the centre of the room (ideally on a slightly raised surface such as a table). Connect the power cord supplied
to the wall socket (A4). The ozone device can now be started by pressing the on/off button (A3), and you set the timer (C) to the desired time (models with a timer). It may take up to about 5 minutes for the ozone generator to operate at full power.
- Duration of treatment:
2 to 72 hours, depending on the intensity of the odour. The average treatment time is 24 hours. Ideally, start with 4-8 hours and repeat if necessary.
- After ozone treatment:
Switch off the ozone device and open the windows. There will be ozone in the air after the treatment; it smells like chlorine. Air the rest of the room to remove the remaining ozone. Check the room. If there are still unwanted odours, repeat the procedure. All affected rooms should be treated separately.
In any case, it is very important to read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully before using an ozone generator.
Would you like to have an ozone generator in your home or would you like some more information? Then visit our product page or call us on +31 020 646 4028 for no-obligation advice!